What does 'Are you referable?' mean? What makes you referable is going to be completely different than what makes your strategic partner referable and what makes me referable. Right? Well, probably wrong.
There are common traits in people that are referable. The Referral Institute uses some of these traits in identifying our target market. The people we can help with their business are people that are already referable. We focus on helping them find the right referral partners and teach them the right tools, tips, and techniques to make their 'referable-ness' function effectively. We do this so they can work less and earn more.
What if they aren't referable? Well - we spend time helping them with that too.
So what are these traits of a referable person? The traits of our target market? What makes you referable?
- Are you an expert in your field? I'm putting my reputation on the line for you - you better know what you are talking about and that you can perform.
- Are you relational? Are you going to treat the people I refer to you (my family, friends, and clients) like a person or like a number? Is that next client a person or an invoice?
- Are you a life long learner? Will you be patient to listen to a potential client? Do you enjoy learning about people and their needs?
- Are you coachable? Your referral partners are going to have to teach you how to listen and how to introduce them to potential clients.
- Are you an entrepreneur? Do you believe in and have a strong passion for your business? If you don't have a passion for your work - I may wonder if you'll complete the job you've asked for.
- Do you apply your expertise to your own life? Look at what you are trying to have people refer you for - your products and services. Do you use them yourself?
- Are you doing some kind of networking today? People like to refer people to people that are outside of their cave and are visible. Come out to play and people will want to and be able to refer you better.
If you can answer yes to all of these bullets - you are referable! If you are still having trouble turning from being 'referable' to getting referrals my Referral Success 101 class might be right for you.
Upcoming classes are March 3rd at 5:30pm and March 10th at 9:30am. Details available here: http://www.referralinstituteithaca.com - Click 'Programs' and select 'Referral Success 101'.