Thursday, February 21, 2013

Why you should read it again...

I'm on vacation this week and I'm catching up on my reading list. The first book on my list is Seth Godin's 2008 book "Tribes". My good friend Virginia who runs the Referral Institute in St. Louis recommended the book last summer. I immediately bought a copy and read about a third of it. The concept of Tribes was intriguing and a little confusing in the manner that Godin described. I didn't get it and I put in on the shelf.

In August of 2012 I relocated my office and the book came with me. It moved down a few shelves to the place that books go when I haven't read them and I don't want to show off that I have them - just in case someone asks me about the book.

In connecting with Virginia at our January conference and in working with her on creating "Capture the Net-Worth of Your Network" she reawakened me to the concept of Tribes. She showed me and introduced me to members of her own tribe and she described how her Referral Institute clients were creating tribes of their own. Having spent that time with this great teacher and having these experiences - the concepts of Seth Godin's book had new meaning.

Yesterday, on my flights from New York to Florida, I started the book from page 1. I'm nearly 3/4 of the way through and I've been making notes and I've already started to implement some of the new ideas for creating tribes within my own business. The book hasn't changed - I've changed.

Sometimes prospects for the Referral Institute Ithaca say to me, "I've already taken that course" or "I learned some of that information once before". I now know they feel and now I'd tell them - the material is the same - but you've had a world of experiences since the last time you participated and the message and results will be much different for you now.

Read it again; Watch it again; Listen to it again; Enroll again; Participate actively again; for you are a different person than you were last time and that will make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment